Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year!
We are looking forward to a great year ahead. Our theme this year is “Together We Thrive”. We look forward to partnering with you to make this the best educational experience for your child. Below you will find information regarding the beginning of school:
CLASS ASSIGNMENTS AND TRANSPORTATION: Teacher assignments were mailed to families on Friday 8/19/22. Teacher assignments and bus information is also available in ParentVUE . If you need help logging into ParentVUE, please contact the main office at 703-228-5845.
SCHOOL HOURS: APS made adjustments to start and dismissal times across the district to provide additional instructional time and support transportation efficiencies. For the upcoming 2022-23 school year, Hoffman Boston will continue to start at 9:00 a.m., with a new dismissal time of 3:50 p.m. Students may enter the school starting at 8:35 and go directly to their classroom. Teachers will welcome students into the classroom at 8:45. Families arriving after 9:00 a.m. will need to accompany their children to check in at the main office. Late arrivals and early departures will need to be recorded by parents in the main office.
OPEN HOUSE: We encourage all families to attend our Open House on Thursday August 25th 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. In addition to meeting your child’s teacher and seeing the classroom your child will be able to participate in an Open House Learning Passport activity to see the different areas of the school and complete academic challenges. Make sure to turn in the Passport to get a ticket for the ice cream truck by Door #3.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Grade level supply lists can be found here: School Supplies
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH: This year breakfast and lunch will no longer be free for all students. The price for breakfast is $1.80 and for lunch is $3.10. Money can be added to your child’s account here: MySchoolBucks. If you qualify for free or reduced meals based on income, you must complete the application here: Free and Reduced Lunch Application.
- Lunch: Students will eat lunch outdoors, weather permitting. Students will enter their student ID number to purchase meals.
- School menus are available here: Lunch Menu.
- Breakfast: We are a “Breakfast in the Classroom” school. This means that breakfast will be delivered to the classroom each morning and students will have an opportunity to eat breakfast. Student’s account will be charged.
ARRIVAL: If you are dropping off your child, please use Queen Street to access the Kiss & Ride loop. A staff member will meet your child and assist them in getting to the classroom. All Car Riders/Walkers will access the building at Door #1.
DISMISSAL: Students dismiss at 3:50 p.m. We will begin moving students into their mode of dismissal at 3:45 p.m.
- Bus Riders: If your child is using bus transportation, please log in to ParentVue to find the bus stop location, bus number and pick-up and drop off times. APS is introducing a new “Where’s The Bus” mobile app for parents and students to track their bus arrival time using their phone.
- Car Riders/Walkers – Each family was provided with a yellow placard card with your child’s name to support the dismissal process. Please have the card with you for dismissal. This card was mailed to your home address on 8/19. Contact the front office if you need another card. A staff member will help inform our teachers that you have arrived. Due to the location of our building, dismissal for car riders can be tricky. We encourage you to park and walk to pick up your child. If you do pick up your child by car in the Kiss & Ride loop, please have your child enter/exit the car on the curbside to ensure their safety. Remember that your child must be at least 8 years old to walk home alone. If you want your child to walk home independently, please provide a letter to the front office.
- Kindergarten, 4th and 5th grade will be dismissed at Door #2.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade will be dismissed from Door #19.
- Pre-K will be dismissed from Door #1.
APS HEALTH AND COVID INFORMATION: You can find updated information on APS health and safety here: COVID Information This includes a link to sign up for weekly asymptomatic COVID testing at Barcroft Our testing will take place on Thursday from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. There is also a link to report if your child has tested positive for COVID and a link to the APS COVID dashboard. Masking remains voluntary this school year. Staff at Barcroft will continue to teach and encourage good health habits including frequent hand washing. We appreciate you keeping your child home when they are sick.
APS STUDENT iPADS: Student devices will be issued for instructional purposes only once Hoffman Boston students understand device expectations and the district’s Acceptable Use Policy. Staff will review expectations to help students understand how to take care of the device and how to be good digital citizens when on their devices. Devices will only be sent home when a teacher has a specific assignment.
- August 25th – 4:00 – 6:00 Open House
- August 29th – First day of school for K-5 students
- August 30th – First day of school for prekindergarten students
- September 8th – Back to School Night (in person)
- October 20th and 21st – Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences – parents have the option of in-person or virtual meetings through Microsoft TEAMS
We are looking forward to a great year ahead! Thank you for being an important member of the learning community: Together We Thrive!
See you soon!
Heidi & Suzanne